Pages

15.4.13

That talk that makes me wonder...

As I was coming back from Tartu yesterday I managed to sit straight behind a bunch of 4 teenager boys (probably 16-20 years old). It was the only available seat and so there I was. Forced to hear their talk. Thats how buses usually are. Oh how I dont like it. In the beginning I listened to my ipod and heard nothing but at one point my ears started to hurt and I had to take the headphones out. And then it dawned on me. Their talk was so empty I actually wanted to stand up and walk out but where?
As we reached Paide it went worse and worse til one of them mentioned a girl he knew. And the first question his friend ask was this: "Well, what are her measurements? Her size?" And I sat there with my eyes wide open and heart turning into pieces.
Is that all young men think of? One of them says its his friend and the other one wants to know her measurements? Really? Is that all we are to young men nowadays? Just a piece of meat?
I was so sad. I was heart-broken for all the young women out there who have no idea whats going on.

And yet Im not blaming those guys. Coz thats the society we live in. Young girls wear such short skirts and low-cut shirts you can see everything. Young guys see everything. Its as if no one is there to teach the value of one´s body anymore. We put ourselves out there. We show our bodies as trophies. We give ourselves as trophies.
And then there´s the "sex sells" all over the world.

WE are not just a piece of meat. And yet we act like we are. We (Im not saying all of us, Im not saying thats how it is with everybody) sell ourselves to everyone.
And then I am surprised to hear a talk like that from a bunch of teenager boys?

I was 19 years old when I first heard stories from guys in a Bible school how hard it is for them to NOT look coz they really are visual. And at first I was so mad. I was like, seriously? Why should I change my dressing blablabla and then there was like a call on my heart. Something that whispered that a part of man´s attitude really is in my hands... The way I dress, the way I behave, do I flirt, do I put myself out there... And something changed in me. I started to see the world from their perspective...

I just pray God to open our eyes. The eyes of the heart. That we would know whats in there and change something if its needed... So that the next time I hear talk like Id have the courage to maybe say something (in a loving way) that makes them wonder... makes them think.
Jup.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Üliõige!